What is OCPP?
OCPP is an acronym for Open Charge Point Protocol which communises the language between EV chargers and their software. The objective of this protocol is to sensitise communication between different EV connectors and CMS (Charge Management Software), despite the fact that neither the charger manufacturer nor the software developer lives in the same country or continent.
What are the functions of an Open Charge Point Protocol?
- The OCPP is open-source software that is freely available for anyone and everyone to access or contribute to it.
- It adapts to any charger or connector and software
- You do not need any kind of investment to use this
- The latest version of the Open Charge Point Protocol is OCPP 2.0.1, which was released in 2020.
Who formed the OCPP?
The OCPP was written and published by a confederacy of private and public EV Infrastructure magnates, namely, Open Charge Alliance, which was formed in the year 2014. It currently has more than 220 members that belong to different sectors of the EV industry, inclusive of charging equipment manufacturers, software and systems providers, charging network operators, and research organisations.
Benefits of OCPP:
The following are the advantages of using an OCPP:
- One of the major benefits of using OCPP is that you have the authority to choose the network, as well as, regulate the connection of your EV charging station. In other words, you can either select a local network provider or choose another provider that is compatible with your electric vehicle.
- Nonetheless, of which EV charger your use, the Open Charge Point Protocol ensures that it is compatible with other networks. However, the process of integrating hardware with the latest software should be done by the manufacturer to ensure no configuration issues are cropping.
- The advantage for commercial businesses is that you have the authority to control how many units you can consume through a network by connecting it to your vehicle.
- You can control who uses your EV charger, when and for how long.
- Your payment can be seamlessly done with the help of an RFID.
How does interoperability help boost business efficiency?
Any businesses looking to enter the EV Charging industry will be gaining benefits through both the hardware and the software.
The hardware benefits of OCPP:
- Freedom to select an EV software that caters to your electric vehicle
- Freedom to switch the EV software of your choice
- Increases competition in the market
The Software benefits of OCPP
- Your EV charging stations will be visible on the maps to EV drivers
- Effortlessly manage EV charging hardware
- Smooth user experience
What is the connection between OCPP and EV CMS?
The EV Charging Management Software connects the OCPP-enabled infrastructure with the charging network to allow real-time monitoring of charging data. The YoCharge EV CMS is integrated with OCPP in order to help businesses provide EV drivers with an exclusively branded experience.
Who benefits from using OCPP-based EV CMS SaaS?
The following is the list of people who would benefit from using the Open Charge Point Protocol-based EV CMS SaaS from YoCharge:
- Businesses looking to set up their own EV charging Stations
- Businesses with already established EV charging stations looking for smooth user-friendly and upgraded versions of White Label CMS
- Businesses belonging to the following industries
In conclusion, to Understanding OCPP and Interoperability Significance
The OCPP and its interoperability currently play a major role in communicating with the hardware and software of any electric vehicle and charging station. This would help smoothen the user experience of most EV drivers as the OCPP platform is free to access by everyone.
Currently, YoCharge is gaining popularity for its seamless services. We excel in providing the OCPP-based CMS as SaaS.