On 31st August 2022, Rajasthan joined the list of 15+ Indian states as it released the Rajasthan Electric Vehicle Policy 2022 (REVP 2022) to encourage the use of electric vehicles across the state. The state government has approved an additional budget provision of Rs 40 crore for the State Goods and Services Tax (SGST) reimbursement on the purchase of such vehicles. With the release of Rajasthan EV Policy, the state has become the latest state to follow Goa, Delhi, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and West Bengal.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has approved this policy, and said its implementation will reduce the pollution caused by diesel and petrol vehicles in the state. Gehlot had announced the introduction of the Electric Vehicle Policy in the state budget for 2019-20.
Salient Features of Rajasthan EV Policy 2022
The Rajasthan EV policy outlines the vision, objectives, scope, implementation procedure, institutional structure & benefits related to electric vehicles in Rajasthan. The important highlights include:
- The State government has sanctioned Rs 40 crore towards electric vehicle purchase incentives and reimbursements of State Goods and Services Tax (SGST).
- The state government had announced to reimburse Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 SGST amount for two-wheelers and Rs 10,000 to 20,000 for the purchase of three-wheelers according to the battery capacity of the vehicle. At the same time, the transport department has received a sum of Rs 40 crore to clear the pending cases of grant on the purchase of electric vehicles.
Rajasthan EV Policy 2022 – Vision:
- To reduce vehicular emissions by promoting the transition towards clean mobility and to create a conducive environment for holistic development of the Electric Vehicle ecosystem in the state of Rajasthan.
Rajasthan EV Policy 2022 – Objectives:
- To support the adoption of Electric Vehicles in both personal mobility and public transport segments.
- To enable the creation of a robust network of Electric Vehicle charging stations & battery swapping stations catering to all types of Electric Vehicles with focus on clean energy sources.
- To foster research & development and skill development in the State’s electric mobility space
- To promote the manufacturing of electric vehicles and batteries in the State by providing appropriate incentives under RIPS-2019
- The policy shall be valid for a period of 5 years from the date of notification with a detailed review to be undertaken annually or as required.
- The incentives shall be extended only for the policy period unless otherwise stated/notified.
Though various provisions and enabling initiatives, category-wise targets by the end of policy period are as follows:
|e Two wheelers
|15% Electric Vehicle share in new vehicle registrations
|e Three wheelers
|30% Electric Vehicle share in new vehicle registrations
|e Four wheelers
|5% Electric Vehicle share in new vehicle registrations
|Phased transition to e Buses used in routes connecting priority cities
|Manufacturing target of 35 Lakh unit per year in the next 5 years.
The Rajasthan EV Policy 2022 prescribes following financial incentives for purchase of electric vehicles in the state: